The Action Fans Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to The Action Fans official forum!

Author Topic: Steven Seagal's weight gain  (Read 5527 times)

Psychic Scream

• View Profile
Steven Seagal's weight gain
« on: April 09, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »

I'm really hesitant to post this because I don't want to turn this into a "Hate Seagal" thread.  I know Seagal isn't a very popular star, and from what I've read a lot of that is his own fault.

As a background, I'm a Seagal fan from way back, but I'm also disappointed in a lot of what I've read about him.  So I like the guy and his movies, but I'm not a blind fan-boy.

Legitimate question, and please try to keep this civil no matter if you hate him or love him.  Has there ever been a reason given for his weight gain?  Seriously, I'd really like to know if it's simply from eating way too much and not exercising, or does he have a health issue going on that made him gain weight?  

One of my best friends is a weight lifter and athlete, and several years ago he developed a serious thyroid problem (among other things)  that caused him to gain almost 100 pounds.  He also has a totally screwed up metaloblism and can't lose the weight. He's as strong as a bear and could snap you in half, but he's massively overweight.  I also know a girl who developed liver or kidney issues (can't remember...some highly important internal organ) and she also put on a huge amount of weight due to the health issues.

So seriously, did Seagal get some kind of medical/ health problem or did he just simply say to hell with it and start eating everything in sight?  I'm embarrassed at times to say I'm a fan of his, because the first thing anyone has to say is how fat he is.  How can you take an action star seriously when he's over 50 and overweight?   Does he not ever look in a mirror and think maybe he should do some calistenics and lift a few weights? Then again, if it's health related he needs to come out and tell us so people quit making fun of his weight gain.

İyborG

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »

im a fan
& i agree with ur posts
and yea i think its just over eating
ive never heard any thing about any condition,
and like u said if he has one he should say but i think its just
Overeatersitis  lol, it sucks too,as
i was just watching Hard to kill, And above the law the other night, and he was so Skinny/small and ran like lightning, and i was thinking man seagal to bad u cant run like that any  more
it is possible of a condition, like/cause Jeff Speakman who im also a big fan of has a condition that makes him retain water, and makes him look big but he aint as big as seagal and he still works out and does kenpo,unfortunatly like i said i think seagal just gets a overbearing urge to raid the fridge at night , i know what thats like Lol

anoyster

• There is no bathroom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:12:16 AM »

I just think he got comfortable. He started making crazy amounts of money from acting and probably all the exercise he ever did was martial arts training and once he established himself as an action star he cut back on his training and gained the weight.

Not that I know anything but that's my assumption.
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

long_tall_sully

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:44:33 AM »

Its probably cos he was never a musclar star, like willis but with martial arts.  so less emphasis on appearance.  It started around 1998 i believe, it was gradual.
you fuckin whore

Kong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theactionfans.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 08:35:59 AM »

Here's what I think happened. All in all it's most likely a combination of the following:

- Started aging (obviously)
- Started eating more
- Cared less about working out the older he got (though I doubt he's been very active in this field anyway, lol)
- Got lazy and stopped doing his own fight scenes (fact)

Psychic Scream

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »

Quote from: Kong;4051
Here's what I think happened. All in all it's most likely a combination of the following:

- Started aging (obviously)
- Started eating more
- Cared less about working out the older he got (though I doubt he's been very active in this field anyway, lol)
- Got lazy and stopped doing his own fight scenes (fact)

More than likely you're right about that.  I guess if there was a legitimate health issue it would have been out by now.  Like I said, I'm actually guilty of being a fan of his movies so it's a little painful to watch him in some of his more recent work.  Doesn't Seagal know he's selling  himself as an action star and that means actually being in shape?  A comedian can be 300 pounds and do a comedy, no big deal.  But an action icon simply can't do that.  He has to know his weight is an issue, given how often he wears his circus tent sized overcoat.

And since you brought it up, I can't understand him using a stunt double for his FIGHT scenes! That's what he's known for!  Everyone uses stuntmen for the obvious stunts, but an action hero known for his Aikido is expected to at least do his own fight scenes! One of his movies (don't remember which one) his character runs across a field or something, and it's obviously a stunt double doing the running!  

And one other thing.  It's very important that his DVDs have an English subtitle feature.  There were whole sections of Mercenary for Justice where I couldn't understand anything he said!  Thank goodness for English subtitles.  

I remember back in the '89 to '94ish era when people I knew who never watched action/martial arts movies and didn't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Dolph Lundgren, etc.. were fascinated with Seagal and watched all his movies.  People who didn't give a damn about martial arts in general were at work talking about Aikido!  I still remember having conversations at work with people who didn't know karate from a tuna fish sandwich talking about Aikido and Seagal. It's so sad that he took that and said to hell with it.  :(

militant

• View Profile
    • http://www.theactionfans.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »

Quote from: anoyster;4033
I just think he got comfortable. He started making crazy amounts of money from acting and probably all the exercise he ever did was martial arts training and once he established himself as an action star he cut back on his training and gained the weight.

Not that I know anything but that's my assumption.

This sounds plausible. He got lazy and now he's paying for it.
...But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you...